Here are some projects I’m working on, or that I’ve worked on in the past.
Produced an investigative report on Haiti and features on private equity.
A database that tracks controversies and scandals the ride-hailing company Uber has had, making the point that Uber’s problems go far beyond its management and culture.
Data visualization and tools
- a visualization that ties black unemployment to white unemployment;
- a choropleth mapping how progressive policies correlate with union representation, using a hexagon tile grid map;
- a calculator that when the wealthy stop paying into Social Security;
- a dot plot exploring wages in the health care industry;
- a graph deconstructing the inflation rate; and
- a critique of common definitions of “middle class” and “middle income.”
Anti-austerity advocacy campaign
I co-founded an anti-austerity advocacy campaign that fought against the austerity fad in the early 2010s, which was led in large part by organizations financed by billionaire Pete Peterson. We had some important and meaningful victories against those organizations before they were defeated (for the time being). It’s now semi-dormant.
Recently, I discovered that one of those organizations — The Can Kicks Back, which used affinity fraud to try to make young people think austerity and cutting Social Security was “cool” — let their domain name expire, so I had a little fun: thecankicksback.org.