It’s hard to know what’s been happening in Nicaragua based on the mainstream coverage of the recent protests. Here are some resources that add much-needed context.
- The Empire Turns Its Sights on Nicaragua – Again! by Dan Kovalik
- Social Security Protests in Nicaragua? Hold on a Second… by Jake Johnston
- Who is behind the protests in Nicaragua? by Sergio Alejandro Gómez
- Daniel “¡Dános Señor la Fuerza para ser instrumento de Paz y que donde haya odio sembremos amor!”
- My Contra Parents Are Marching For a New ‘Old’ Nicaragua: Are We, Too? by Melissa Castillo
- Initial Reflections on the Violence in Nicaragua by Tom Ricker
- After Ortega? by John Perry
It’s also striking that while protests in Nicaragua were largely supported by outsiders and were ostensibly aimed against cuts to its social security system (which in actuality, the government — the target of the protests — was trying to protect), similar protests in Puerto Rico against broad cuts to spending have failed to galvanize such outside support.